Medical school preparation
Prepare for medical school with Bellerbys College
Bellerbys College provides specialist university preparation for international students. Many international students choose to study at a UK university in order to gain a universally respected medical degree. Bellerbys has years of experience providing quality education to overseas students looking to study Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Medicine at university.
Successfully preparing for medical school requires a well-rounded education. Our Brighton campus offers an inspiring programme of study for students aiming to progress to a medical degree. By studying with us, you will benefit from quality teaching, academic enrichment and help with your university application.
As an A Level student at Bellerbys you’ll benefit from the special relationship with have with a number of medical schools. Elite Medic students benefit from guaranteed interviews* at Brighton and Sussex Medical School and Royal College of Surgeons Ireland.
Entry to UK medical schools is extremely competitive. We advise that students wishing to study Medicine at university to achieve a minimum of IELTS 7.0.
Elite Medics gives future doctors the opportunity to prepare for entry to medical school alongside their A Level programme. Medical school places are highly competitive but as one of our Elite Medics, you will be guaranteed an interview at the Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS) and Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI), providing you with the best chance to go on to study medicine.
Specialist support includes:
- A guaranteed interview at Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS)
- Guided visits to the Medical School and to the hospital
- Invitation to sample medical school lectures
- A mentoring scheme with current medical students
- Introductions to clinicians for shadowing and volunteering opportunities
- Access to MedicPortal, a medical school application resource (available at Brighton only)
- The loan of university equipment to get first-hand experience with practical exercises
- Specific enrichment activities related to the sciences
- Small class sizes of fewer than twelve students
- Visits and support from admissions tutors
- Practice for BMAT and UKCAT exams and personal statement writing
Elite Medics will study:
- Introduction to getting into Medical School
- Introduction to Anatomy; living anatomy activity
- Infection control
- How to take a history
- Cardiovascular: blood pressure, hypertension, design a drug activity
- The NHS
- The patient journey through the NHS
- Pathogens: designing a pathogen, discovery and diagnosis
- Emergency medicine
- Primary care & General Practice
- Health education
- How to choose medical schools through UCAS
- Career paths in Medicine
- Mock interviews and Multiple Mini Interviews
Applying to medical school:
- Students can apply to up to four medical schools
- Most medical schools will require you take either the BMAT or UKCAT tests
- You must include a personal statement, including details of all your voluntary work and relevant experience
- Admissions tests are taken shortly after submitting your UCAS application
- Successful students will be invited to interview in December or January
Our University partnerships
Founded in 2002 and full of modern teaching facilities, BSMS was ranked 1st for student satisfaction (National Student Survey, 2015). The school is one of only 32 medical schools in the UK recognised by the General Medical Council.
The University of Buckingham Medical School is the UK’s first independent not-for-profit Medical school. The MB ChB Medicine programme at the school has been refined over 20 years to provide student with the optimum learning experience.
Future surgeons have been beginning their training at RCSI since 1784. Located in Dublin and a truly international institution, RCSI has over 19,000 alumni practising in 97 countries. By studying at RCSI, you will be surrounded solely by other healthcare students at both the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Elite Medics key facts
|Course length:||5 or 6 terms (A Level programme)
|Start dates:||September and January|
Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
|English language entry requirements:||IELTS 6.0|
|Academic entry requirements:||Students must have 5 GCSEs at A*-B, including an A or A* in Chemistry and Maths, as well as a 200 words personal statement explaining why they want to become a doctor|
|Admissions process:||Skype interview with the Head of Science, the A Level Programme Manager or the Principal|
Pinky from Myanmar
“The enrichment activities at Bellerbys, particularly the weekly medics group, helped me to build up my knowledge and understanding. This supported me throughout the university application process - my personal statement, UKCAT test and with my interviews.”
Pinky from Myanmar - Studied A Levels and achieved A*AAa, now studying Medicine and Surgery at Plymouth University
Studying in the UK
Open yourself up to a whole world of opportunity and experiences by choosing to study in the UK.
A Levels are British qualifications, accepted by all universities in the UK and recognised in the USA and Australia. Students who are with us for five or six terms will typically study up to four A Levels. This gives you a world of choice.