IELTS test centre in Brighton
Due to the National Lockdown as a result of COVID-19, we are currently suspending all testing at Bellerbys College until March. We strongly hope to resume at this point but, will follow government guidelines.
Take an IELTS test
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the standard English language proficiency test for study, work and migration.
Bellerbys College Brighton offers regular test dates throughout the year, at a test centre conveniently located near Brighton station.
IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English. Find out more about IELTS.
How to apply
Apply online and upload your supporting documents (European national identity card or passport).
Parents/Guardians now must apply on behalf of candidates under the age of 18.
You will receive a confirmation letter, map and receipt of payment after we have received your application.
How to pay
The test costs £185. You can pay by:
- By bank transfer – online or in branch
When your payment is complete, please send us confirmation (a screenshot or payment receipt showing the amount and payment reference. We will then confirm your place.
Personal cheques are not accepted.
We regret that no full refunds will be given unless a minimum of 14 days’ notice of change or cancellation is given. For cancellations outside of that period a 25% administration fee will be charged.
IELTS test dates
Test dates 2021
Month Date January 23rd - February 20th Academic only March 13th - 27th - April 10th Academic only 24th Academic only May 8th Academic only 29th - June 12th - 19th - July 10th - 24th - August 7th Academic only 21st - September 4th - 11th - October 23rd - November 20th - December 4th -
On your test day
Your IELTS test will include listening, reading and writing exams in the morning and a spoken interview in the afternoon. You can learn more about the test day by downloading our test day flow chart.
IELTS has introduced Test Day Photography as part of a commitment to test security. All IELTS candidates will have their photograph taken by IELTS staff just before the test. This photo will then appear on the candidates' test report forms (TRF). Download IELTS Consent Form.
Please follow these tips for a successful exam:
- ARRIVE AT BELLERBYS COLLEGE at 8.30am - Registration begins at 8.45am so do not be late. Latecomers will not be admitted to the building.
- DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSPORT OR ID – You must bring the same ID document that you attached to your IELTS application. We can only accept valid passports, European Identity cards or the Home Office Residence Permits, if you do not bring the correct ID with you will not be able to take the exam.
- KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - Make sure you know where you are going for your exam. Do not leave this until the last minute to check. If you turn up late you will not be able to take the exam and will also lose your test fee. (see map)
- GIVE YOURSELF THE WHOLE DAY – The IELTS test is all completed here on the same day, so please do not make unnecessary plans on the same say as your test as this could cause you undue stress.
- ENGLISH, ENGLISH, ENGLISH – You are taking an English skills test, so make sure if this is not your first language that you prepare by using English as much as you can before your exam.
- DON’T CHEAT – IELTS is a highly secure test and our staff are trained to be extremely observant and strict. They will catch you and you will be ejected from the exam. You will end up with no test result and you will lose your test fee without a refund.
- STAY POSITIVE - There is a huge amount of research that proves positive and confident people do better on language tests. You worked hard to learn this language. You are an intelligent person with a bright future. Believe in these facts and smile about it.
Parking and Facilities
Bellerbys IELTS test centre is located in Bellerbys College, just 3 minutes’ walk from Brighton Railway Station. The best way to reach us is by public transport, but if you would prefer to drive there are parking facilities at the station. Click here for details.
You can refill your water bottle from one of our many water fountains in the building. Bathrooms and disabled toilet facilities are also located on the ground floor of the building close to the exam hall. A Costa Coffee is located inside Jury’s Inn Hotel, directly opposite our centre, N+1 Cycle Café is also very close by for coffee and snacks and Brighton Station has many other food and drink options.
Your results will be available 13 days after you take the exam. If you would like more than one copy of your certificate, please request this before your results are issued, otherwise there is a £15 fee.
Prepare for your IELTS test
The British Council offers online preparation for the IELTS exams. Take at look at these online resources to help you prepare for your IELTS test:
How IELTS examiners are tested
Do you know who your IELTS Speaking and Writing examiners are? Have you ever wondered how they determine your IELTS test scores?
There are a number of steps involved in becoming an IELTS Writing and Speaking examiner. Firstly, all examiners must have the following:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field of study
- A TESOL/TESL/TEFOL or other recognised English language teaching qualification
- English-language teaching experience of at least three years (full time), or the equivalent in part-time, with most of that time spent teaching English to adults
The next step to becoming a certified IELTS Writing and Speaking examiner is to complete standardised training, conducted by an experienced IELTS examiner trainer. An important aspect of examiner training is marking speaking and writing exams. In order to become certified, examiners must mark a series of exams consistently and accurately.
After becoming certified, examiners are regularly monitored to ensure IELTS standards are being met. Every two years, examiners must be re-certified, which involves more training and marking tests. As with the initial training, they must show that they can accurately and consistently mark exams. Another important aspect of an examiner’s job includes maintaining confidentiality and security related to the IELTS test, both on test day and when marking exams. They must also ensure all procedures for administering the IELTS test are followed for every candidate.