Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

 Have you got questions about studying at Bellerbys College? We are here to answer your questions about studying with us.

Questions about coronavirus

If you are due to begin your studies with us soon and have an urgent enquiry regarding the coronavirus outbreak, please refer to these Frequently Asked Questions.

We are here to help you

Information for 2021/22 academic year

  • How will you help me prepare to start my programme?

    We offer an online preparation course, Prepare for Success, to help you gain a head-start before you start your academic programme. Find out more about preparing to study with us.

  • What are my study options?

    We are continually updating our courses to ensure you get the best out of your time at the Bellerbys College. This means that intakes are liable to change with each academic year, so please visit our pre-arrival page for the most up-to-date information.

  • What if I can't make it to the UK to start my programme?

    If you are unable to travel for the start of term, you can start your programme online from home.


  • Are bursaries and scholarships available?

    We offer scholarships to talented students who are looking to study our A Level programmes. Find out more about our scholarships and how to apply.

  • How much does accommodation cost?

    Accommodation fees vary, depending on the city you study in and the type of accommodation.

    Most residence accommodation includes half board meals (breakfast and dinner), depending on your age. If meals are not included, accommodation is offered on a self-catered basis.

    Residence accommodation (students under 18) in a single room with half board, starts from:

    • £5,885 per term in Brighton
    • £4,859 per term in London.

    Homestay accommodation is available on request. For more information, please complete our enquiry form.

    Find out more about our accommodation fees.

  • How much does it cost to study at Bellerbys?

    When you are looking at the cost of studying at Bellerbys, you need to consider both tuition and accommodation fees – which are listed separately. Tuition fees vary by course, and the price per term is shown on each course page.

    Accommodation is an additional cost. Please visit our fees page to see our tuition fees by course and accommodation costs.


  • What are the entry requirements?

    To study at Bellerbys College, you need to meet certain academic and English language requirements. Entry requirements vary for each course and are listed in the key facts box on each course page. For some courses, such as A Level and Foundation, you will need to check the entry requirements for each individual subject.

  • What are the teaching methods?

    We offer a choice of study options so you can feel confident to start your programme, keep your studies on track and achieve your university goals.

    If you join us on campus, you can expect:

    • Small class sizes
    • Experienced teachers and support staff
    • Ongoing, individual assessment
    • Blended learning, which is a mixture of face-to-face and virtual teacher-led learning
    • One-to-one support at every stage

    If you are starting your course virtually from home, teaching, learning and student support will involve 'live' sessions with your teacher. You’ll be asked to carry out some work independently before and after live sessions to prepare for and refresh your learning. Some teaching will be delivered through pre-recorded lessons that you can complete at a time of day that suits you.

    Teachers will also engage with you individually in order to provide academic and pastoral support to ensure you remain on track to progress.

  • What courses are available?

    Bellerbys College offers a range of courses for students aged 16 and upwards. Our courses include A Level as well as Foundation, International Year One, Summer, and English language programmes.

    A Level

    A Level qualifications are accepted by every UK university, and are recognised worldwide. At Bellerbys, you can choose between twenty different A Level subjects. International students typically study three or four subjects over two years.


    This one-year programme prepares you for university by focusing on your chosen subject area. You will develop your academic knowledge, English language and study skills. For additional English language and academic support, start with our Pre-Foundation course.

    International Year One

    Our one-year course is equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree. Taught at Bellerbys College London, you will prepare for the second year of a business-related degree at university.

    Bellerbys Summer

    Our summer programme gives you a chance to develop your study skills and interests, while experiencing UK culture, cities and attractions. You will spend up to four weeks in the UK with other students from all over the world.

    English language programmes

    Join our English Language Preparation course for up to three terms and develop your language skills before starting the A Level, Foundation or International Year One programme. We also offer a six-week IELTS Express course which boosts your IELTS score for university applications.

  • English Language requirements

    Starting your studies virtually from home and coming to campus at a later date

    You can start your studies virtually with a UKVI-approved Secure English Language Test (SELT) as above or you can provide proof of your English language proficiency with an alternative test. This is possible because you do not need a Student Visa to start virtually from your home country.

    You will need to obtain a SELT with the required minimum score to make a Student Visa application in order to come to campus.

    The test results must have been achieved in the past 24 months and meet the minimum English equivalency score for your chosen programme.

    UKVI-approved SELTS include:

    • IELTS Academic for UKVI
    • Trinity Integrated Skills in English
    • Pearson PTE Academic UKVI
    • Language Cert SELT

    Alternative tests accepted during disruption to testing due to covid include:

    • Pearson PTE Academic
    • IELTS Indicator
    • IELTS Academic
    • LanguageCert International ESOL
    • TOEFL iBT
    • Cambridge ESOL
    • Duolingo
    • Linguaskill
    • Oxford Test of English


  • Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

    Visa requirements vary for different countries and personal circumstances. For the most up-to-date information, see the UK visa section on GOV.UK .

  • How do I apply for a UK student visa?

    The visa application process depends on whether you are applying from outside or inside the UK. For full information, see the applying for a visa section on GOV.UK.

  • Can I work part time while I am studying?

    Your working rights depend on the type of visa you have. If you hold a Student or Child Student visa, and received your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) you can work up to 10 hours per week, or full time (40 hours per week) during your holidays from the age of 16. For more information, see the Student visa section on GOV.UK.

  • Do I need to take an IELTS exam to come to the UK?

    This depends on the type of visa you are applying for. If you are applying for a Student visa, you can find out more by visiting the UK Government website. If you are aged under 17 and are looking to study on a Child Student visa, click here to find out more.

Life at Bellerbys

  • How old do I have to be to study at Bellerbys?

    Age requirements vary between different courses. Minimum age requirements are listed in the key facts box on each course page. The minimum age for studying at Bellerbys is 16. 

    Minimum age requirements for each course are:

    • A Levels: 16 years
    • Foundation: 16.5 years
    • Pre-Foundation: 16 years
    • International Year One: 18 years
    • Pre-Sessional Preparation Programme for PhD: 21 years
    • English Language Preparation: 16 years
    • Bellerbys Summer: 16 years
    • IELTS Express: 18 years.
  • Is orientation week compulsory?

    We recommend that all students attend orientation/induction week. By arriving in time for your induction, you can meet your new classmates, make friends, and enjoy our pre-planned social activities before your studies start.

  • What is a typical day at Bellerbys like?

    At Bellerbys, you will be fully involved in College life. You can take part in a range of extracurricular activities that build on your academic knowledge and personal interests. Find out more about life at Bellerbys.

  • What meals are provided at Bellerbys?

    Food is provided at all Bellerbys Colleges. Some students (aged 18+) may also have the option to self-cater. The meals you receive will depend on your accommodation package:

    • Half board – includes breakfast and dinner
    • Self-catering (available to students aged 18+) – does not include any meals. 

    Students in homestay accommodation receive half board meals.

University preparation

  • Are there any conditions that apply to Foundation?


    Letters of conditional progression are subject to the submission of a completed UCAS application, academic reference, personal statement that meets the required standard and passing of your Foundation programme with the required grades and English language level. The letter in itself is not a conditional offer from the university. You will receive a conditional offer from the university if you meet all requirements.

  • What specialist university preparation do you offer?

    Bellerbys College provides specialist guidance for students who plan to study at high-ranking UK universities, or want to study degrees such as medicine. Our specialist support includes enrichment activities, advice on additional reading, practice admissions tests, and interviews.

  • What support do you give for university applications?

    We provide all students with full support for university applications. You will need to apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS). This is the centralised service that all students who want to study an undergraduate degree in the UK must use. We can help at every stage of your application, from registering your UCAS account and identifying key dates, to helping you write a personal statement. We can also help you choose the right course and university for you.

  • Which universities can I progress to?

    Our courses offer a wide choice of universities you can progress to. The options depend on the course you choose to study at Bellerbys:

    A Level

    You can apply to any UK university, including Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College London, London School of Economics and University College London. 


    You can apply to more than 80 UK universities and can receive letters of conditional progression from up to thirteen universities (depending on your subject pathway).


  • What are my accommodation options?

    We offer residential accommodation at both our campuses. The options available will depend on your campus location and age.

    Explore the accommodation options for each College:

  • What are the accommodation curfew times?

    Each College has set curfew times for students of different ages. Students aged 16 -17 have a curfew time of between 9:30pm and 10:30pm, depending on location. Times may be extended on Fridays and Saturdays.

  • When can I book accommodation?

    You can book your accommodation once you have confirmed your place on your chosen course. Our student enrolment advisors will help you with choosing the right accommodation for you.

Get in touch

We understand you may still have questions about Bellerbys College. Use our online enquiry form to get in touch and one of our Student Enrolment Advisors will get back to you.

Where is Bellerbys Brighton?

Bellerbys College Brighton
1 Billinton Way

Where is Bellerbys London?

Bellerbys College London
Bounty House
Greenwich, London