Posted 08/12/2015 by pkryniewska
Looking for a career in the creative industries? Here’s how to get started in the UK.
The UK has been the training ground of some of the world’s most famous artists. From Francis Bacon to Banksy, Tracey Emin to Turner, whether you love classical art or modern art, you can’t help but be inspired by the country’s artistic talents.
It’s why so many international students come to study Art and Design courses in the UK each year. The latest figures published by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) reveal that 15.6% of UK Creative Art and Design students in 2013/14 were international students. To give you an idea of the subject’s popularity among international students, around 10% of history and philosophy and 15.7% of medicine and dentistry students in the UK are from overseas.
Why study an Art and Design course?
Art and Design graduates change the world. They transform our environment through architecture, our everyday lives with innovative products, and make life easier with clever designs. They inspire us and make the world more beautiful, colourful and creative.
From furniture design to photography, Art and Design courses in the UK enable you to study something you’re really passionate about, and meet other people who love it just as much as you do.
Taking an Art and Design degree or Foundation course in the UK has lots of benefits:
- Improve your artistic skills
- Improve your English
- Meet exciting people
- Experience an inspiring new culture
- Find out more about art and design history
- Learn valuable practical skills that will help you after you graduate, such as teamwork skills, communication skills, flexibility, creative thinking, and IT literacy
- Open up future study and career opportunities
What can I study?
From Art and Design Foundation courses to Masters degrees, there are many ways to study art in the UK.
- HNC and HND – certificates and diplomas you can study at college
- Art and Design Foundation course – designed to prepare you for degree study at university
- Bachelors degree – a three-year programme designed for undergraduates at art schools and universities
- Masters degree – a one- or two-year course that you can take once you have graduated with a Bachelors degree
- PhD – can be studied at university once you have completed a Masters degree, for an even deeper understanding of your subject
- Part-time courses
- Full-time courses
- Online courses
How a Bellerbys Art and Design Foundation course can help
If you want to work in the creative industries, the Art and Design Foundation course at Bellerbys gives you the perfect start to your studies. It helps you to prepare for university degrees in the UK, in art, design and arts-related subjects. It combines academic study with English and study skills, to ensure you have the knowledge and experience you need to succeed at degree level.
You can study at one of two inspiring Bellerbys Art and Design study centres in the UK – Bellerbys Oxford and Bellerbys Brighton.
Once you’ve completed your foundation course you will be able to progress to one of Bellerbys' destination universities, to study an arts degree.
- Theatre Design
- Fashion Design
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
- Product and Furniture Design
Whichever aspect of art and design interests you, there’s a course in the UK that will help you fuel your passion, improve your skills, and open up exciting opportunities for the future.